Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New Member, I jumped on here about an Auction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New Member, I jumped on here about an Auction

    buy a couple weeks ago, without really knowing Altec basics. Here are a couple quick photos that I took the other day.

    My question in trying to narrow down the manufacturing date is: 288B's were made from 1949 to 1959. But (an here i get sketchy) "Hollywood Blue and Red labels are from the early part of those 10 years....and "Beverly Hills" Brown and Gold labels are from the latter part of those 10 Years.

    Is this right? AND can anyone narrow the dates down a bit further? Or add some more info.

    I only got the one speaker...and it sounds fantastic. I don't believe the driver has ever been opened.

    Thanks

    Attachment 252

    Attachment 253

    Attachment 254

    Attachment 255

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Member, I jumped on here about an Auction

    Nice. Look everything over closely for 6-digit date codes. The first 3 digits will be 391 (for Altec). The 4th designates the last digit of the year (you have to make an educated guess to the decade), the last 2 are the week (01-52).

    You'll probably need to look inside the 288, and at the back of the woof. Don't be surprised (or disappointed) if you find a signifigant time span between components.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: New Member, I jumped on here about an Auction

    Very nice! Welcome to the forum and to the Altec family.

    Nice to see that 8 cell horn. It should make a great match to the 825/828 cabinet under it. I have the horn's big brother, the 803B. Very nice.

    Now you just need to find another set for stereo and you're golden.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Member, I jumped on here about an Auction

    Thanks guys. Thanks for the serial number info.

    The Altec Lansing historical site says the Beverly Hills factory was 1950-1956...

    I'll check the serial number on the driver when I take it off.

    Are there any numbers on the Cabinet itself? (i haven't found any) The woofer is much later...a 515 G 16 ohm. so assume it is an upgrade at some time.

    Yes the search is on for a second one. (saving my pennies) Or might just use it for mono or a center speaker.

    I've tested is a few times...and enjoying the Altec sound. Got my first complaint...WoW can that thing blast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.